September 8, 2017
Saturday, Sept. 16th 10-4
Lopez Center's Home Tour Tips
This year's Home Tour showcases 7 homes, from a small stone house in the woods to a spacious 3-level waterfront house, to a magnificent workshop. Here are a few tips to help you make the most of your day.
BEFORE YOU START YOUR TOUR:
• Read through the descriptions of all the homes listed in the brochure. Choose those you don't want to miss and those it will be OK to pass over. Then plan your route. A map is printed on the back of the brochure.
• Use the map to find the public restrooms along your route and plan a bathroom break or two. Homeowners have their bathrooms on display and they're not part of the show.
• Buy the $5 sack lunch and plan where you'll eat it. Most of the homes have beautiful grounds that you can enjoy while you're eating lunch. Lunches can be purchased at the Community Center from 9am-1pm the day of the tour, and at the Lunch/Rest stop at Dave McRoberts' home, 3185 Fisherman Bay Road (see the star on the map).
TAKING THE TOUR:
• Start early. Homes are open from 10am to 4pm. You'll be surprised how fast the time goes.
• Wear shoes you can slip off and on. Bring a bag to put them in so you won't have to sort through the pile that accumulates outside the entrance. Paper booties are provided but may be awkward to fit over your shoes.
• Slow down. Be prepared to run into friends, including some you didn't know live on Lopez. Going to the Home Tour forges strong links to this community.
• Share your stories. Homeowners enjoy learning about the house you're touring and who once lived in it. Your curiosity is welcome.
• Follow the Home Tour guidelines: once inside take no photographs, don't eat or drink, and don't touch anything.
• Don't bring your pets.
• Be generous with Thank-You's: to the homeowners, the docents and the parking assistants, and the many businesses listed in the brochure.
Tickets for the Home Tour are $30, available below and at the Farmer's Market, Paper Scissors, Lopez Bookshop and the Lopez Center (open 9am to 1pm on the day of the Tour).
The Home Tour is one of Lopez Center's primary fundraisers, netting over 10% of the Center's annual budget.